Development Status: Complete (Available for download)
Project Duration: 4 weeks
Team Size: 1
Position: Level Designer
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Download: Snowflake Game (1.87 GB)
Snowflake is a student portfolio game taking inspiration from games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and the late P.T. The player wakes up in a cabin, but something isn't right...Snowflake has logic puzzles and riddles that are akin to Silent Hill in difficulty. Beware, you may need to find clues in the environment!
The primary goal of the project was to create an experience within 4 weeks that showcased story, puzzles, atmosphere, and world building. I worked on this game to improve my technical, level, and narrative design skills. Some of the things I worked on are:
- Worked within a modular kit to build the level.
- Setup all lighting and atmospheric effects.
- Recorded, mixed, and placed all audio.
- Wrote all scripts and in-game text.
- Used framing and staging to create hints within the environment.
- Placed objects in ways to convey proper affordance to the player.
- Developed a dynamic depth of field using off tick ray traces to determine and lerp to the new depth blur.
- Implemented Sound based detection using ray traces to identify surface (wood, stone, carpet) and then run through an array of sounds to create a more natural sounding walk.
- Standardized keyboard and mouse mappings for FPS genre, equipped with flashlight, zoom, head bobble, sprint, and crouch.
- Created custom textures and materials like the notes in the house and books for puzzle 3.