Project Duration: 4 weeks
Team Size: 1
Position: Level Designer
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Download: Snowflake Game (1.87 GB)
Snowflake is a student portfolio game taking inspiration from games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and the late P.T. The player wakes up in a cabin, but something isn't right...Snowflake has logic puzzles and riddles that are akin to Silent Hill in difficulty. Beware, you may need to find clues in the environment! As a student project I wanted to push myself as much as possible and go beyond 110%.
The primary goal of the project was to create an experience within 4 weeks that showcased story, puzzles, atmosphere, and world building. I worked on this game to improve my technical, level, and narrative design skills. Some of the things I worked on are:
- Designed puzzles and player interactions with narrative in mind to create flow that allowed story beats and game challenge to be experienced holistically.
- Worked within a modular kit to build the level.
- Setup all lighting and atmospheric effects.
- Recorded, mixed, and placed all audio.
- Wrote all scripts and in-game text.
- Used framing and staging to create hints within the environment.
- Placed objects in ways to convey proper affordance to the player.
- Developed a dynamic depth of field using off tick ray traces to determine and lerp to the new depth blur.
- Implemented Sound based detection using ray traces to identify surface (wood, stone, carpet) and then run through an array of sounds to create a more natural sounding walk.
- Standardized keyboard and mouse mappings for FPS genre, equipped with flashlight, zoom, head bobble, sprint, and crouch.
- Created custom textures and materials like the notes in the house and books for puzzle 3.