PDF [View Online]
Growing up I have always had a passion for crafting stories and designing mechanics. My youth was spent playing, DMing, breaking, and improving Dungeons and Dragons games. If I wasn't doing that I was building maps in Age of Empires II or Tenchu 2 or religiously studying Metal Gear Solid.
I went to the University of Advancing Technology to get my BSA in Game Design. After that I worked on two tabletop prototypes and designing systems/writing stories for NERO and C.A.S.T.L.E. live action role-playing games. I became the creative director for C.A.S.T.L.E., a startup company. Combined I have 9 years of experience designing quests and designing systems for live action role-playing games.
In 2016 I wanted to move into digital games so I joined UCF's Masters program, Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy, in the production track. A mouthful! I focused on level design and build experience by studying what makes people tick.
In my spare time I play games, write stories, draw characters, make rad videos, and watch anime, among other awesome things.
- The Identity - The perception and mindshare the player will associate with the game. The stronger the identity the stronger the connection the player will have (positive or negative).
- World of Warcraft is an excellent example of this aspect.
- The Quality - Aiming for the highest aesthetic quality possible and maintaining a set style. This includes audio, visual, and controls.
- Bloodborne is a good example of these aspects.
- The Integrity - Being honest and authentic with the player in all aspects of the game. To be competent with your game such that you can design objectively and critically.
- The developers of some fighting games are also competent fighting gamers and can design objectively with insight.
- Responsive Controls - The input output feedback loop is succinct and with impact
- Watertight Concept - The systems of the game remain cohesive and with purpose to better facilitate a holistic experience.
- Appropriate Learning Curve - The difficulty of the game is scaled naturally with the games content and adjustable through player choice
- Positive Feedback & Reward - The player feels accomplished for completing content.
- Frictionless User Interface - The interface does not drag the player down or get in the way of their play
- Consistent Audio & Visual Style - The style of the game should maintain throughout all aspects
1-3 Loosely comprise gameplay
5-6 Loosely comprise presentation